When it comes to the health of your mouth, you really are what you eat. We know that candy, soda, and other sugary sweets are harmful and can cause tooth decay and cavities. One of the first areas to decline when you aren’t eating the healthiest diet is your teeth and oral health. Continue reading to learn some healthy, delicious snack and drink ideas and how they can not only benefit your body, but your mouth as well.
Smart snacking can keep your mouth in good shape. Eating a variety of nutrient-rich foods from all the food groups promotes healthy teeth and gums. A balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, protein, calcium-rich foods and whole grains provides essential nutrients for optimum oral health as well as overall health.
Foods for Optimum Oral Health
- Cheese and yogurt – good sources of calcium which strengthens tooth enamel; however, be mindful not to choose products (yogurt) with a high sugar content
- Leafy greens – kale and spinach are full of calcium and folic acid, which can help gum disease
- Apples and carrots – full of fiber and cause an increase in saliva production, which assists in washing away bacteria after a meal
- Celery – slightly mimics a toothbrush by scraping food particles away and increases saliva production
- Almonds – a great source of calcium and protein while not being high in sugar
Healthy Drink Choices
- Milk – an important source of calcium, which is essential for healthy teeth and bones
- Green and herbal teas – do not stain teeth like black tea and coffee do and are full of bacteria fighting ingredients
- Water – might seem boring and obvious to be on the list, but it helps wash away harmful bacteria that lingers on teeth and gums
Resist the urge to snack frequently. The more often you eat, especially between meals, the more likely you are to introduce acid attacks on your teeth. Remember to brush after snacking to keep cavities at bay. If you can’t brush, rinse your mouth with water to get rid of food particles.
We want to make sure our patients in Baldwinsville and Central New York not only get the best dental care possible, but are also informed and educated on how to keep their teeth healthy. Please call our office if you have questions or want more information on how you can achieve great dental health.