Whether it’s from eating hard candy or sustaining a mouth injury, a cracked tooth is a common occurrence. While our teeth are generally strong, if the tooth had a small fracture or there was some decay present, this can compromise the tooth structure, increasing the chances of it cracking or breaking.
We have several options to restore a cracked tooth, including:
- Dental bonding — If a small piece of tooth enamel has chipped off a front tooth, we can rebuild the shape using a composite resin that hardens. The resin matches the color of your natural teeth, so it blends in and is unnoticeable.
- Dental filling — If a back tooth chips or breaks, we use a dental filling to restore the shape and strength of the tooth. We also use tooth-colored filling material so it blends in with the rest of your teeth.
- Dental crowns — For more serious cracks, we use crowns to cover the tooth and save it from further damage. The crown acts like a cap and fits over the entire tooth. It is a strong, durable restoration that gives you back the ability to use and keep the tooth.
If you do find yourself with a broken tooth, please call our office immediately so we can address the problem right away. While you might think you can live with a cracked tooth, it can easily become infected or damaged to the point that you might lose the tooth entirely.
In the meantime, you can care for your cracked tooth in the following ways:
- If you are in pain, take an over-the-counter pain reliever.
- Avoid biting down on that tooth when you eat. Take small bites and chew slowly.
- To prevent infection, rinse your mouth with warm salt water
At Baldwinsville Gentle Dentistry, we help patients in Syracuse and the surrounding area achieve the dental help they deserve. Please call our office at 315-217-5480 to schedule an appointment with us today.